Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Let them eat cake...and ride at midnight.

The time comes in everyone's life when you realize your significant other can bake and you best get out of her way and let her get it. I sometimes think I enjoy cooking/baking to much...then I throw that silly idea out of my head. This time I wanted to make a cake with an orange center and purple/black icing. As soon as I got off work, stopped by the store for some key ingredients and was ready to bake. Came home, gave Coty and Jobie some "I'm home from work" kisses then put on my apron. Baking vegan is a bit more difficult since you do not use eggs( essentially, eggs are used in baking to hold the pastry together and not have it crumble apart), but my favorite substitute for eggs is a brand called Ener-G. It is a white powder that you mix with water to create a bonding agent in the mix. When I bake, I tend to use more than necessary and compensate water and a little extra soy milk to rid it of any chalky taste. When mixing, I prefer to hand mix the batter so I can get a better feel of the consistency. Cake's in the oven and now it is time to mix the icing. I didn't think getting the right color would be so hard....I was wrong. By the time I got the color I wanted, my poor little hand was tired! Now it was time to get in the zone and decorate the cake. At first, I was going to do some bats on top, but ended up going with making a skull and crossed bones out of some vegan bone candy(also used on other cake in previous post). The unveiling of the cake to Coty is always my favorite, to see his face and have him taste it. His response after taking a bite "mmmmyum uuffff delic..uff..ious mmm." I then tried a bite and the cake was quite sapid and worth the hurt wrist. The professional photography lights came in the post so Coty was excited to try them out. He shot so many magnificent pictures of the cake.

What also came in the post was Jobies new shirt from Sphynx Wear for his birthday ( the big 7 years old)! It is designed just for this and similar breeds body types so it fits perfectly. The material is very breathable and Jobie didn't mind it at all. Since we already had the lights out, I went into "Ashley- Cat whisperer" mode and Coty was able to get some breathtaking and unique shots of Jobie. When we were reviewing the photos on the computer, my mouth was agape for most of them. The quality of the shot, not just the crispness of the pictures, but the overall depth of the pictures and how you could connect visually to them was astonishing. Jobie is always handsome to me but these photos make him stand out in such a way that it is hard to verbalize.

We continued to go thru the pictures on the computer to see the bountiful amount of "keepers", then put on a movie to chill out to. By this time, it was almost midnight and Coty really wanted to go for a midnight ride thru the city. We got dressed, then did the tradition of carrying the bikes down the 3 flights of stairs. It was a tid bit chilly out for me ( though I tend to get cold easily) but we turned on our bike lights and let the rubber hit the road. We were trying to figure out where to go and explore, then almost simultaneously we both had the idea to go see my favorite house on Colonial. It is my personal pick....it atheistically appeals to me with the architecture and demeanor it portrays. Now that it is decorated for Fall/Halloween, I want to call it my own and raise many more kitty children there with Coty. Alas, we were let down due to the fact the Halloween lights were off and the candle in the pumpkins were not lit. We kept riding around and once in a while, come in contact with people who were also out and about. Riding thru the historic/church areas probably wasn't the best idea since a lot of homeless sleep near there and the way they were keeping an eye on us had us feeling a bit uneasy. So we started the trek home, to change back into warmer clothing, grab Jobie and some snacks and continue with our Netflix obsession.















2 comments:

  1. Great job on the cake Ms. Ashley : ) Keep the pics coming Coty... love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Jobie has become a model, the cake looks SUPA tasty and why arent youre delicious pictures in a Vegan cook book or something yet? lol

    ReplyDelete